Maritime & Transportation
Although based in the port cities of Halifax, St. John’s and Saint John, our lawyers provide a complete range of services to all transportation sectors throughout Canada. We are structured to respond promptly, effectively and efficiently to routine misfortunes and to major casualties. Our transportation practice includes:
- Commercial shipping, including acting for owners, charterers, insurers and service providers.
- Acquisition, sale, financing and chartering transactions, involving both commercial and recreational vessels.
- Commercial disputes arising under charterparties, building and repair contracts, supply contracts and service agreements, including those involving domestic and international maritime arbitration.
- Marine insurance matters, including all of protection and indemnity, hull and machinery, pollution, cargo, builders’ risk and ship repairer liability coverages.
- Casualty response including collision, fire, salvage, pollution and wreck.
- Counsel to various port authorities and terminal operators.
- All aspects of fisheries including coastal, offshore, inland and aquaculture.
- Damage claims arising from carriage of cargo by air.
- Aircraft financings regionally and nationally.
- Defence of litigation, including class action litigation, arising from airliner accidents.
Rail and Road
- Regulatory compliance, environmental matters, freight loss and general litigation for rail carriers/intermodal interests.
- Services to long/short haul and cross-border trucking interests, including defence of litigation, regulatory compliance, environmental claims, carrier/broker contract review, and obligations pursuant to the IFTA/IRP régime.
- Advice concerning carriers’ rights to limitation of liability and assertion of such rights when available.
- Transaction and dispute resolution services for businesses in the logistics and freight forwarding industries.
- Practical application of conflict of laws issues to direct litigation away from our courts when appropriate.
Our lawyers serve as members of the Transportation Practice Group of ALFA International and of the Transportation Law Committee Of The International Association Of Defense Counsel.
- Saint John
- St. John's