Joe has a wide-ranging general commercial litigation practice, including particular focus on insolvency/restructuring, insurance defence, and municipal law. Joe focuses on common-sense solutions to legal challenges. Joe believes in the adage “litigation is the pursuit of practical ends, not a game of chess.”
Joe has appeared before all levels of court in Newfoundland and Labrador, as well as the Federal Court of Canada, the Quebec Superior Court, the Ontario Small Claims Court, the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, and the Ontario Court of Appeal.
Some of the ways Joe has helped clients include:
- Representing a publicly traded company in defending a claim for millions of dollars made by a former director and officer seeking payment of disputed awards and bonuses.
- Successfully responding to an appeal seeking to disqualify a Court-appointed receiver in an insolvency proceeding.
- Advising creditors, debtors, and insolvency professionals in a wide of array of insolvency and restructuring matters.
- Negotiating resolution of dozens of personal injury claims.
- Assisting municipalities before regional appeal boards and courts in defending council decisions.
- Enforcing foreign and inter-provincial judgments.