Suite 1100, Cabot Place
100 New Gower St.
St. John’s, N.L.
Ian has a specialized practice in labour and employment law, with extensive experience in arbitration proceedings, human rights investigations and adjudications, wrongful dismissal litigation, employment policy development, negotiation of employment contracts, both executive and non-executive, and labour disputes, including lawful strikes and illegal strikes. He is also involved in advising employers in respect of workers’ compensation issues and occupational health and safety. Ian is primary labour and employment counsel to both of the school boards in the province. Examples of his work include:
- Acting for a school board in defending a grievance alleging racial and age discrimination in respect of termination of probationary employment and failure to hire for alternative positions.
- Acting for an employer in defending a grievance alleging harassment in the workplace over an extended period of years.
- Acting for a school board in respect of termination of employment of a long service employee with drug and alcohol addictions.
- Acting for an employer in defending complaints of religious discrimination under the Human Rights Code.
- Acting for a school board in defending complaints of racial and age discrimination under the Human Rights Code.
- Acting as counsel for all regional health authorities in the Province during the withdrawal of services by members of the health bargaining unit.
- Acting as co-counsel at the recent Offshore Helicopter Safety Inquiry following the loss of Cougar Flight 491.
- Acting as co-counsel in defending charges under occupational health and safety legislation in respect of a fatal explosion on offshore oil tanker.