Suite 900, Purdy’s Wharf Tower One
1959 Upper Water St.
Peter focuses his career on representing management in all aspects of labour, employment, education and pension and employee benefit matters. Through his coordination, he recently had the Nova Scotia Private Sector Employers’ Roundtable and the CEO Safety Charter recognized by successive governments as key stakeholders in matters of labour and employment. Peter has also served as the management representative on the selection panel for both the new Chair of the Nova Scotia Labour Board and the Arbitration Advisory Committee. Peter helps his clients navigate difficult workplace issues, and has:
- Represented the Employers’ Roundtable before the Nova Scotia Court of Appeal in a successful human rights appeal regarding coverage of medical marijuana (2018).
- Successfully represented a major remediation construction contractor against a claim of “common employer” under the Trade Union Act (2017 – 2018).
- Advised and represented a major Nova Scotia manufacturer who has operated union-free for over 40 years (involving numerous union organizing campaigns, multiple proceedings before the Nova Scotia Labour Board, the NSSC, the NSCA and the Supreme Court of Canada) (1974-2019).
- Acted for Atlantic Canada’s largest safety training company successfully defending claims of violations of non-competition agreements (2016).
- Secured a rare Anton Piller Injunction to seize without warning or notice electronic devices and documents believed to contain trade secrets (2014).
- Provided strategic advice for the largest long-term care provider in Atlantic Canada involving the coordinated negotiation of over 20 collective agreements in two provinces (2006 – 2009).
- Successfully represented the sponsor of a large Nova Scotia pension plan in litigation involving so-called “pension contribution holidays” where the claim was over $400 million (2004 – 2007).
- Advised sponsors of many of the largest pension plans in Atlantic Canada on a broad range of strategic issues including governance, plan funding and wind-ups.
- Acted for numerous Nova Scotia School Boards on contentious matters such as school closures and realignment of bargaining units following Board amalgamations.
- Been involved in the following, outside the realm of labour and employment:
- Acted for a renowned international photographer in successfully defending a claim by The Rolling Stones involving an artist’s residual rights in a film.
- Negotiated an NHL player’s contract with the legendary Lou Lamoriello of the New Jersey Devils.