Art’s construction practice has included services for a wide range of clients including clients involved in the power industry, commercial construction, heavy civil works, construction insurance and hospital construction. He provides practical and effective advice from project inception, through contract development and drafting, procurement, course-of-construction problem-solving and where necessary the dispute resolution process. Representative work includes:
- Drafting procurement documents, advising on all aspects of tendering and RFPs, and representing clients on tendering/RFP disputes.
- Preparing and negotiating design and construction contracts of all types, including stipulated price, design-build/EPC, EPCM, architectural services, civil works, construction management and trade contracts.
- Acting for clients in construction mediation, arbitration and court litigation. His early experience includes acting as co-counsel in a number of major construction cases before the Courts involving hotel construction (extras and delays), a warehouse roof collapse and airport hotel construction (labour and material payment bond claim).
- Acting as co-counsel for the turnkey EPC contractor in a $70 million dispute arising out of a turnkey design-build project for construction of a 165 MW power plant (1993-2002)
- Acting for a major energy company on a $50MM+ delay in start-up insurance claim.
- Drafting contracts for a $45 million commercial office building project.
- Drafting standard construction contracts (including fixed price, design-build, general construction/construction management and procurement documents) for a national commercial construction program with over $300MM in value.
- Drafting an EPCM contract for a major plant conversion.